Saturday, July 31, 2010

Interesting new free online LMS and possible replacement for Ning?

Hi everyone,
I just came across Schoology (schoology.com) a very interesting
service that's designed as a combination LMS and social networking
site. From the demo, it seems to have great functionality and could
serve as a possible replacement for Ning.
Anyone using this or know anything more about it? Looks pretty cool.
Jim Lerman
Kean University

Re: Wireless Options

Hi, Renee. I'll also vouch for the Aerohive units. We've deployed 30
AP120's this summer which are slowly replacing our controller-based
Cisco APs. The price point is very competitive and, as Barrett
mentioned, easy to work with. Another attraction is no single
point-of-failure that controller-based systems have. We've set up the
HiveManager in a virtual machine and have had zero issues with it.

I've dealt with their tech support on some minor issues, too, as well as
catching a bug. Their support is stellar and responsive.

I highly recommend them!

Regards,
Kory
St. Catherine's School
Richmond, VA

On 7/31/2010 9:43 AM, Barrett Keziah wrote:
> Hi Renee,
>
> We went with Aerohive Networks last year and have been really happy with it
> since. While they have a hardware or virtual machine-based controller
> available, it is just for pushing configurations to the APs, reporting on
> end users and the like, so it is not a typical wireless controller like
> Cisco uses. We liked this option and their price was very reasonable.
> While I really haven't had to utilize their tech support for any major
> issues, the couple of minor config questions I've had for them were answered
> quickly and completely.
>
> www.aerohive.com
>
> Let me know if you would like any more details.
>
> Barrett Keziah
> Systems Administrator
> Ravenscroft School

Re: Wireless Options

Hi Renee,

We went with Aerohive Networks last year and have been really happy with it
since. While they have a hardware or virtual machine-based controller
available, it is just for pushing configurations to the APs, reporting on
end users and the like, so it is not a typical wireless controller like
Cisco uses. We liked this option and their price was very reasonable.
While I really haven't had to utilize their tech support for any major
issues, the couple of minor config questions I've had for them were answered
quickly and completely.

www.aerohive.com

Let me know if you would like any more details.

Barrett Keziah
Systems Administrator
Ravenscroft School

Re: Wireless Options

Dear Renee,

We just installed a Ruckus Wireless system (28 access points) this summer. =
I cannot vouch for how it will work under load,though I am excited to see =
how well it does this fall. I can say that after a lot of research I felt =
that ruckus gave us the best performance for price (probably the best perfo=
rmance in general). They had some excellent pricing for schools that reall=
y helped. The Ruckus system is a very easy to use system. We had original=
ly planned on paying to have the equipment installed and the controller con=
figured, but the vendor's idea of installation, and what needed to be done,=
turned out to be a good bit different. So, we went ahead and did the inst=
all ourselves. I found configuring the controller to be easy and the acces=
s points so far have proven to work as advertised and with great coverage. =
=20

I really like how easy it is to manage the system. I am sure there are som=
e features available from other vendors that Ruckus may not have, but I als=
o know from looking around that the Ruckus controller was generally easier =
to configure. For us, general performnce is more important than seldom use=
d features, and easy to manage is the only way we get by with all of our st=
uff. Their beam-forming technology does seem to work in my initial testing=
(I could see it in coverage, I look forward to loads of traffic to see if =
I can see it in handling interference better). The dynamic pre-shared key =
feature also works well and makes configuring klaptopsand maintaining secur=
ity very easy and effective.

I will say that the Aruba solution we looked at was more reasonably priced =
than I expected - though not cheaper than Ruckus. I did not feel that the =
access points had the same coverage as Ruckus'. However, Aruba has been at=
this game ver successfully for many years.

We purchased the 7962 access points (and a few 7363s) which are all dual ba=
nd. I cannot speak to their performance yet, but I can tell you that the 5=
GHz coverage area is not as large as 2.4GHz. This is not a Ruckus issue, t=
his is a difference between the two frequencies - the same exists between 8=
02.11g and 802.11a. We went ahead with the dual band because the cost diff=
erence was minimal and we hope that this solution will meet our needs for m=
any years. There definitely is a performance difference, but depending on =
what the user is doing they may or may not experience it at all. A good so=
lid 802.11n connection at 2.4 GHz will yield a fraction of the theoretical =
130 Mbps, but even half of that is more than one can get from the Internet =
and plenty for moving files around. =20

I wish I had some experience with the wireless system under load to vouch f=
or its general performance. I can tell you that there are many reports out=
there, groups with far more time, sophistication, and need, to truly compa=
re systems, who have found the Ruckus to provide the best performance. =20

If you would like to know more details feel free to follow up.

John Caballero
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School

Friday, July 30, 2010

Wireless Options

Can you please share which wireless hardware you are using, and if you =
are happy with it?

We are expanding our school, and I currently have Cisco but I am looking =
at Xirrus and Ruckus. I would love input on these three systems as well =
as others that people are using.

How many of you have 5 ghz systems as well as 2.4 ghz. Have you notice =
better coverage / speed of access with it? Did you move up to 5 ghz to =
support more wireless devices and has it helped?

Thanks,

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School

Xen Desktop

Has anyone had any experience with a product called Xen Desktop? Please provide any details in any way as it is a product our school is considering.

Thanks
Matt Melnick
Independet Day School

Re: offsite backup service

Morning,

Add another satisfied Barracuda customer to the list.

We have been using their backup service since last winter and are very happy
with their solution. No more tapes!!!

The upfront cost for purchasing the appliance might be a deterrent. However,
the monthly cost of $50 per 100gb of cloud storage is more than worth it.
This is easily the least complicated backup/restore/disaster recovery
solution for an affordable expense.

Good luck with your search.

A.

--
A. Popoola

Re: offsite backup service

Hi Sherry,

Sorry for your loss.

I've been using Barracuda since last Fall. I have no complaints. Recently they just came out with an upgrade allowing it to backup open files.

The solution was cheaper than paying for another year of Backup Exec support. I also saved a bundle from not having to replace my Dell PowerVault and Backup exec server due to EOL support.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Pilsch
Network Administrator
Fay School
48 Main Street
Southborough, MA 01722
508-490-8249

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Re: offsite backup service

Hi, Sherry. An excellent thread dated around June 27th came up here on
the list. Subject line "off site backup." I believe a number of
responders have been happy with Barracuda's appliance which basically
backs up to their cloud service.

Since we've gone to a 95% virtual environment here at St. Catherine's in
Richmond, I'm using a mix of disk-to-disk-to-tape for our backup
strategies including Backup Exec 2010 for our tapes and VMware's Virtual
Data Recovery appliance to a 1Gbps connected 2Tb network drive for our
VM VMDK files.

I guess the question depends on what you're backing up and what kind of
environment you have. Simply said, I'd check out the Barracuda service
that was so highly mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kory

On 7/29/2010 1:40 PM, Sherry Ward wrote:
> Hi all, hope your summer is going well. My backup server died this week
> and I'm looking at alternatives. Does anyone have a great backup service
> (offsite)? I'd love to get info including some idea of pricing so I can
> decide whether to replace this server, or just go hosted.
>

> thanks,
>
> sherry
>

> Sherry Ward
>
> Director of Technology
>
> Alexandria Country Day School
>
> 2400 Russell Road
>
> Alexandria, VA 22301
>
> 703-837-1317 sward@acdsnet.org
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: Classroom Bell System

I'll second David Withrow with regard to a preference for good clocks,
not bells. The "adult" thing to do, indeed--Peter Gow

--
Peter Gow
Director of College Counseling and Special Programs

Re: Classroom Bell System

When all is said and done the bells are for irresponsible adults, not =
the students. A good cloCk system is the "adult" thing to do, Imho.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2010, at 7:44 PM, Sister Elizabeth =
<sisterelizabeth@powhatans.org> wrote:

> I'll second the comment about Bell Commander - easy to setup and =
install and it works. We have a little piece of Beethoven for our =
dismissal bell.
>=20
> Sister Elizabeth
> Powhatan School
>=20
> I have been using BellCommander for about four years. Works exactly =
as
> advertised. Very flexible.
>=20
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Adrienne Hill wrote:
>=20
>> We are researching a system to operate our classroom bell system in =
our
>> Middle/Upper School. We have two different daily schedules (one for =
Middle

]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.

Re: classroom speaker recommendations

For just under $100 you can mount speakers in the ceiling and amp from =
your computer. We are using small Pyle amps (I am on vacation and can't =
remember the model) and 5in 60 watt speakers. Works very well for us. We =
mount speakers near the ceiling mounted projectors. Not a classroom =
theater experience, yet everyone can hear even in our bigger classrooms.=20=

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Kathleen Krcma <kkrcma@soink12.ksds.edu> =
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> We are looking to upgrade our classroom speakers, so teachers can =
easily
> share videotapes, dvds, and online videos with their classes. =
Currently

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Adrienne Hill <cadriennew@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are researching a system to operate our classroom bell system in our
> Middle/Upper School. We have two different daily schedules (one for Middle
> and one for Upper), as well as different schedules on assembly, pep rally
> and other "special" days. We do not want an audible hallway bell - looking
> for something that will sound over classroom PC speakers. Does anyone have
> experience with BellCommander?
>
> Adrienne Hill
> Academic Technology Director
> Deerfield-Windsor School
> 2500 Nottingham Way
> Albany, GA 31707
> 229.435.1301 ext. 297
> ahill@deerfieldwindsor.com
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
> non-commercial, share-alike license.

--
Raymond Pryor
Director of Technology
The Webb School
Bell Buckle, TN

Re: Classroom Bell System

In a message dated 7/29/2010 12:40:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cadriennew@YAHOO.COM writes:

I highly recommend doing without bells! I'm retiring after 18 years at
Viewpoint School as Associate Head for Academic Affairs. When I came to
Viewpoint, there were no bells. I wondered, how does this school work? Now I
know -- we have a radio clock in every room, every one knows our
complicated, 6 day rotation with Upper and Middle School minor variations, and we run
wonderfully without any bells at all! Very nice to teach in a place where
one's last sentence or two are not cut off by a clanging bell! Try it for
a year!

All best wishes to you all -- I've enjoyed your company these past years.
Heather Blair from The Harker School is stepping into the technical parts
of my shoes and more, Paul Rosenbaum the teacher-evaluation and academic
leadership parts. Viewpoint School is in great hands!

Margaret Bowles

PS -- please send sign-off insturctions. I'm off to study music and have
more time for playing my flute, seeing my grandchildren, and traveling +

Re: Global/Electronic Permission Slips

We do not recommend schools use a one-size-fits-all release for field =
trips. The reason is that for a release to be enforceable the person =
signing should be made reasonably aware of the particular risks, as well =
as the rights being waived. Since the risks involved in attending field =
trips vary widely by location and activity, it's unlikely that one form =
will suffice. California and many other states also limit what rights =
students and parents can waive.

Please also be carefully about providing "permission slips" as opposed =
to "releases" or "waivers." The former is simply an acknowledgment that =
a student may participate in a field trip. It provides minimal benefit =
to the school. The latter is designed to protect the school from =
potential liability. In California at least (I don't know about other =
states) public schools have broad statutory immunity for injuries that =
result from field trips (and sports). Therefore, public schools may =
rely on permission slips, but not so for private schools.

Finally, we recommend against electronic permission slips, if by that =
you mean obtaining signatures electronically. The purpose of a =
signature is to verify that a particular person agreed to specific =
terms. That is nearly impossible (as far as I can tell) when someone =
just clicks a box on his or her computer screen. There is federal and =
state law regarding electronic signatures, but we've found it to be =
generally unhelpful. California Government Code =A7 16.5 gives =
guidelines for public agencies that you may find useful.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael C. Blacher
Liebert Cassidy Whitmore
6033 W. Century Blvd., Suite 500
Los Angeles, CA 90045
=20
Phone: (310) 981-2000
Fax: (310) 337-0837
www.lcwlegal.com
=20
The preceding e=ADmail message (including any attachments) contains =
information that may be confidential, be protected by the =
attorney-=ADclient or other applicable privileges, or constitute =
non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the =
designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this =
message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then =
delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or =
reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not authorized =
and may be unlawful.=20

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thanks so much to those of you who offered info about your schools and how =
you prepare faculty new to laptop programs.
I compiled the responses into a blog post available here: http://tech4teac=
hing.org/wpblog/?p=3D964

I hope the responses are as helpful and informative to you as they were to =
me.

I'd love to get your comments as we begin to plan for next year.

Tami Brass
@brasst on Twitter

Middle School Technology Coordinator
St. Paul Academy and Summit School
St Paul, MN 55105
http://www.spa.edu<http://www.spa.edu/>

Re: Weather Station Recommendation

Or you could build your own! Fun project for your students?

http://www.weathertoys.net/weathertoys/main.html

I used some Dallas Semi stuff when I worked for Lucent. We used it to
monitor "the weather" in our server farm.

-Cameron

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Bruce Lemieux <blemieux@cushing.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> We are looking to install a networked weather station for next year and I
> wondered if anyone might have a recommendation on a particular device they
> have had luck with over the years.
>
> Sincerely:
>
> Bruce Lemieux
> Director of Technology
> Cushing Academy
> 39 School Street
> Ashburnham MA 01430
> blemieux@cushing.org
> Phone: 978-827-7075
>

> Confidentiality Notice: The electronic mail and/or documents accompanying
> this transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender
> which is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the
> individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
> distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
> information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
> in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at the number
> following to arrange for return or to destroy the original document. THANK
> YOU. 978 827 7171
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874]
> non-commercial, share-alike license.

--
+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Cameron Moredock

Re: Combining Different Levels of French

Keep the classes as small as you can and a good French language teacher =
can handle the level of differentiation necessary.

Chris Delmar
Technology Program Director
Christ Episcopal School
109 South Washington Street
Rockville, MD 20850
301-424-6550
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some =
principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, =
and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing =
from it, except the pleasure of seeing it."
-Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Re: Alternatives to SmartTech's Notebook software?

Fred,

I'm not exactly thrilled by Smart's revised ULA myself. We purchased Class=
matePC netbooks last year with the Smartsuite as part of their "ecosystem" =
included in the price. Now it appears that Smart's revised ULA would mean =
my teachers couldn't use the instructor side of the suite if connected to a=
projector. I'm looking for alternatives to Smart Notebook as well.

We're already using OneNote as a significant part of our curriculum. Altho=
ugh it doesn't allow for Flash and other interactive to be visually embedde=
d, the files can still be inserted and/or linked with the notebooks.

I did a quick search for whiteboard options and found:
Ardesia - http://code.google.com/p/ardesia/
Open Whiteboard - http://openwhiteboard.sourceforge.net/
Smoothboard - http://www.smoothboard.net/ ($30 per license)
Eduism - http://edusim3d.com/=20
Kindlelab - http://kindlelab.com/home/index.php=20

There are also a number of web-tools:=20
Scribblar - http://www.scribblar.com/ =20
Twiddla - http://www.twiddla.com/
Skrbl - http://www.skrbl.com/
Dabbleboard - http://dabbleboard.com/

I'd like to learn more about the options you find.

Tami Brass
Middle School Technology Coordinator
St. Paul Academy and Summit School
1712 Randolph Ave.
St Paul, MN 55105
http://www.spa.edu
(651)=A0696-1444

Re: New faculty and laptop programs

please share the results....

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Questions:
>
>* When do new faculty receive computers, email accounts, website accounts, etc.?
at the end of the summer and before we have our professional development days (1 week before school starts). email is activated once they have signed their contract.

>* Are any of you sending new faculty to technology conferences, such as the Lausanne Laptop Institute in Memphis to prep for 1:1?
no

>* How much time is spent training teachers on how to access school resources (network and cloud) via computer?
the technology coordinators meet with the new teachers during their orientation for a couple hours and follow up with 1-1 training.

>* How much prep time is given to new faculty to work on integration - work with integrationist, teaching team, etc.?
they can set up meetings with the technology coordinators on an individual basis to work on integration.

>* Are things such as classroom management with laptops, student expectations, etc., part of the discussion?
somewhat

>* Is technology proficiency a job requirement? If so, how is it assessed during the interview process?
no, but it should be. if anyone has questions that they ask during the interview process, then i would be happy to see them. we would like to start integrating these types of questions into the interview process.

>* Is ability to effectively integrate technology a job requirement? If so, how is it assessed during the interview process?
no, but it definitely should be! again if anyone has information to offer, we would gladly look it over and attempt to integrate into our job description(s)/interview(s).

Re: New faculty and laptop programs

Sent from my U.S. Cellular=AE Windows=AE phone.

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:56:38 -0400
From: John Miller <johnmiller@rutgersprep.org>
Subject: Teaching Office for Mac in the Middle School

We are looking to update our Fifth Grade Computer Curriculum with a renewed
focus on teaching the skills necessary to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word,
Excel and Powerpoint) for academic projects that they will encounter in
Middle School. Our school primarily uses Macs and our students rotate
through a series of classes over the course of the year with computers being
only one of those classes. That means that only a third of the students
have computers at any one time and the class meets daily for about 10 weeks.
Does anyone have such a curriculum already in place that they could share?
Is anyone aware of any products on the market that break down the skills
necessary for mastery of the Office applications that could be used as a
diagnostic tool to determine an individual student's prior understanding?

Thanks for your help,

John

[...]

(651) 696-1444