Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Re: Web calendar

Hello Laurie -

We use Google Calendar iCal feeds streaming into calendars in our Finalsite
hosted web site. While Finalsite has its own calendaring system, as a Gmail
and Google Apps customer it made sense for us to use Google calendars as the
repository for all of our calendar-driven information.

While my personal preference would have been to actually embed the Google
Calendars themselves within Finalsite, rather than use iCal feeds, there are
two reasons we decided not to:
(1) Finalsite can set a cookie for the user so it remembers which calendars
they wish to display within the Finalsite calendaring system, and (2) our
communications people thought that users coming to our public-facing web
site, largely parents, were used to the look and feel of the Finalsite
calendars.

There is one issue we have found with Google's iCal feeds, ironically having
to do with people who use Google calendar to subscribe to iCal feeds created
by Google calendars! The normal iCal feed from Google works well with
Finalsite, Apple's iCal, Outlook, and other clients. But Google's normal
ical feeds to Google calendars used by those with individual Gmail accounts
want the private iCal feed! You can check Google's help files for the
difference between the feeds. So currently we let parents know both the
private and the public feed URLs, but all of this is behind password
protection. We have a ticket in with Google to solve this issue, but have
not heard back from them.

Give me a call if you'd like more information.

-----
Steve Taffee | Director of Strategic Projects
Castilleja School | staffee@castilleja.org
1310 Bryant Street | www.castilleja.org
Palo Alto, CA 94301 | taffee.edublogs.org
650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Women Learning, Women Leading
<http://twitter.com/sjtaffee> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevetaffee>