Sunday, September 5, 2010

Re: A Question for This Labor Day Weekend

Hi!

I think this is fundamentally a question of human nature - when
altruism and self-interest are placed in opposition, which wins out?

It connects to a similar question I asked in a blog on ISEnet about
whether or not we in the independent school community have an
obligation to speak out on national education policy given that we are
free of the strictures that are being placed on public schools, and
are benefitting from
the situation. My school is definitely attracting smart, creative kids
who just want to learn, explore and think deeply, and who aren't
getting what they want in their public schools. So that's good for us
but bad for the country (in my opinion). While I rejoice in every
minute spent in the classroom with these wonderful kids, when I'm
alone and feeling reflective, I'm deeply troubled by the overall
situation.

But someone else might legitimately view the situation differently.
I'm sure we have widely varying socio-political
and economic views here and in our schools. I'll stick up for what I
believe, but have to at least concede the possibility that someone who
disagrees with me still has the best of intentions.

Maybe we can unite around the idea of working simply to alleviate
poverty. I feel trying to solve our nation's education problems is a
task that must coexist with anti-poverty work (which means social
justice work in general), so that might be a good starting point. I'm
trying to put those ideas out here and there for others to chew on,
and thinking through any reactions I may get.

Meanwhile, I cultivate my own garden. I try to work with my students
so that they believe all people deserve to be treated with dignity and
respect, and to live my own life (however imperfectly at times) by
those same principles. That's at least a step in the right direction.

So Fred, I'm not sure I've answered your question. By now, I'm not
sure that it can even be answered (probably my own question is also
unanswerable). What each of us thinks about human nature, and about
social, political and economic ideals, will produce different opinions
and shape different perspectives on what the right course of action
should be in the first place. As any given school wrestles with these
questions (if they so choose), the interface between various opinions
and the school's mission will shape its response.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L