Saturday, October 31, 2009

Use Drupal in your School? Join the Drupal Schools Network

You may use Drupal for your school site, but are you exploiting if for
teaching and learning? Drupal is a great way to support social learning
and collaboration between schools and school/community partnerships.
Check out http://youthvoices.net and http://teachingmatters.org for
examples.

Drupal is not easy, though. Without an in-house expert or a big budget
for outside help, schools rarely make their Drupal sites do the powerful
things promised. Empowering students to help is an important step, and
one I promote through the Hudson Valley Tech Scouts (http://hvscouts.com).

However, even tech-savvy students need help, and the discussions on
drupal.org require significant open source savvy to follow. By the time
students figure out how navigate those boards to solve problems, they
are ready to graduate; and though they may be tempted to continue to
help afterwards, college can be a distraction. K12 schools that use
Drupal need a place to help each other learn how to do things and solve
problems, and to share ideas for teaching and learning.

I have decided to create this space, just launched Friday: the Drupal
Schools Network: a place for educators and school stakeholders in
Drupal schools to find each other and share teaching ideas and tech
support. Please visit http://drupalschools.net and think about how this
could serve your school, and perhaps sign up?

- Bram

P.S. Game Face Web Design will support and host this site as an open
resource: no fees, and no self-promotion for the company or services.

--

Bram Moreinis

Principal, Game Face Web Design

http://www.gamefacewebdesign.com

Director, Hudson Valley Tech Scouts

http://hvscouts.com

Friday, October 30, 2009

Several unrelated tech things: Summercore, Music, Job Opening, Tech Saturdays

Several unrelated tech announcements

(1) Summercore Update: we are currently seeking to identify schools for
the Summer of 2010 and 2011 for hosting our 5 day workshop. One Summercore
is open to everyone is at Horace Mann School (Bronx NYC) the week of July
12-16, 2010 and another is at St. Mary's Episcopal School (Tampa FL) the
week of July 26-30, 2010. You can read more about Summercore by going to
www.summercore.com including this quote: "I especially appreciated the
teacher modeling that occurred during the workshops.This helped me better
understand how to put the use of computers in the classroom into
perspective with it being an educational tool rather than a distraction
from the important job of teaching/learning.The many helpful hints about
gaining student attention were extremely valuable."

(2) Incredible Music Web site: several friends and colleagues at a NYC
music school have produced a wonderful hands on drill and practice music
Web environment with tremendous depth regarding music theory. See
http://www.theoryinabox.org/portal.php and if particularly interested,
send me an email and I will give you a login/password for 3 weeks which
the Head of School is allowing me to share.

(3) Innovative job in Academic Technology and Classroom Innovation:
another friend and colleague has posted this "out of the box" job opening
Emma Willard two hours North of NYC. See
http://www.emmawillard.org/employment/lubin_chair.php and feel free to
pass this on to anyone you know.

(4) We continue to seek old computer equipment for our project in Harlem
as we try to address the digital divide in this "little town" which
unfortunately is chock full of Yankees fans. You can read more about our
efforts at http://www.techsaturdays.org and can contact me if you have any
donations of old laptops, monitors, desktops, keyboards, ethernet cables,
mouse pads etc that you would be willing to ship to NYC. We will take most
items (not printers) as long as not broken. Thanks as always.

Happy Halloween everyone ... Steve

Steve Bergen (sbergen@cstorefront.org)
CIO and Computer Teacher, The Children's Storefront
70 East 129th Street, New York, NY 10035

Please support the Storefront Billion Penny drive by going to
http://www.billionpennyproject.org/

An Independent School in Harlem
Web site: http://www.thechildrensstorefront.org
Tech Saturday Info at http://www.techsaturdays.org

also co-director, The "Summercore" Teaching Company
until the Pats go 19-0 ... http://www.summercore.com
you can "follow Summercore" by going to
http://www.twitter.com/summercore

Re: Access to Library Resourses from home

Maura,

The solution I have most often seen at both school and public libraries
is OCLC's EZproxy (http://www.oclc.org/ezproxy/). Most databases will
allow you to authenticate by the static IP range assigned to your
organization by your ISP. Then, if you install EZproxy on your network
and make it accessible from the web your students will be able to access
your database subscription off campus. Even if IP authentication is not
possible, for some databases, EZproxy is able to pass your
organization's credentials to the database. Granted the configuration of
some databases is more difficult than others, as I have personally
learned this week. However, most vendors seem to be willing to assist
with the configuration. Some even have specific EZproxy instructions
listed on their websites. EZproxy supports several authentication
schemes including LDAP. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any
technical questions.

-Matthew

___________________________________________=20
Matthew Datcher=20
Senior Network Engineer
CCDP, CCNP, CCSP, MCNE, MCSE=20
designDATA=20
7606 Lindbergh Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20879=20
240.876.3584 Cell
240.599.1500 Office
www.designdata.com
mdatcher@designdata.com=20
Technology Consultants & Network Engineers=20

Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the recipients to whom it is addressed, and may contain
information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
and delete the original message without making any copies. If you are
not the intended recipient, unauthorized review, copying, use,
disclosure, or distribution is improper and may be subject to legal
sanctions. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system
into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by designDATA for any loss or damage arising in any way from
its use.

Re: Access to Library Resources from home

It will be most helpful if you choose the same password and login to use ac=
ross the databases. You can speak to the vendor about your options. They do=
not always volunteer that information and you end up with confused student=
s and multiple passwords.

Linda Jacobs Swarlis, Ph.D.
Director of Information Services and Library

56 S. Columbia Avenue
Columbus, OH 43209
614.252.0781 ext. 129
FAX: 614.252.0571
lswarlis@columbusschoolforgirls.org
www.columbusschoolforgirls.org

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Two weeks until NEIT!

Greetings!

It's now just two weeks until the NEIT conference at Mohonk. Can't you almo=
st smell the earthy scents of the fireplace and taste the delights of the d=
esert table? If the NEIT wiki is a harbinger of things to come, this year's=
gathering looks to be

engaging, inspirational and down right fun. Be sure to include your voice =
in the conversations already started here<http://neit.wikispaces.com/>.

Get acquainted with our Keynotes

We couldn't be happier to be joined on Wednesday afternoon by Siva Vaidhyan=
athan, and on Friday morning by Michael Wesch.

Siva Vaidhyanathan is a cultural historian and media scholar, and is curren=
tly an associate professor of media studies and law at the University of Vi=
rginia. His session is titled "The Googlization of Everything: How one comp=
any is disrupting culture,

commerce and community ...and why we should worry". It will be a critical i=
nterpretation of the actions and intentions behind the cultural behemoth th=
at is Google, Inc.

Michael Wesch, dubbed "the explainer" by Wired magazine, is a cultural anth=
ropologist exploring the effects of new media on society and culture. His v=
ideos on culture, technology, education, and information have been viewed b=
y millions, translated in

over 15 languages, and are frequently featured at international film festiv=
als and major academic conferences worldwide. His session is titled "Mediat=
ed Culture / Mediated Education".

There are a few of Michael Wesch's videos posted on the official NEIT confe=
rence page<http://www.nysais.org/page.cfm?id=3D4&verbose=3D330>.

See what the NEIT conference has to offer

Are you registered for the 2009 NYSAIS Education and Information Technology=
Conference (NEIT2009)? If not, why not? It's not too late to register.

Still on the fence? Watch the slideshow below for some ideas on why you nee=
d to be there. Bring your library and technology colleagues, as well. We're=
looking forward to seeing you there.

More Information & Registration

For registration and further information on the 2009 NEIT Conference, check=
the official NYSAIS page.<http://www.nysais.org/page.cfm?id=3D4&verbose=3D=
330>

To start gathering ideas and to collaborate on the process, visit the NEIT =
wiki.<http://neit.wikispaces.com/>

Best Regards,

The NEIT Committee

Re: Groupwise book available

We moved to Exchange 2007.

Regards,

Bill Griscom
Director of Information Services
Lancaster Country Day School
725 Hamilton Road, Lancaster, PA 17603
717.392.2916 x. 246
griscomb@lancastercountryday.org
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Re: Websites beyond the "official"

Not yet, except for one which was not a "social site". In fact, it was an outside entity
that challenged fair use of a copyrighted but no longer offered book. Copyright was
followed, but lawyers got into the way. We have been hesitant to challenge the "new"
[IMHO] unconstitutional, view of copyright law.

What can I say? It's a new world!

>Hi David,
>
>I am curious if you have had any incidents of teachers, parents or students reacting
>badly to website content created by a teacher either in collaboration with students or
>on their own? Have teachers acted out and spoken on behalf of the school? Are we
>talking about sites like Facebook or other sites like Nings, voicethreads, etc. etc.
>
>Just curious,
>
>Matt Pearson
>Director of Technology, Security and Safety, MCDS

Re: Websites beyond the "official"

For eportfolio's for education, you might want to look at Mahara - it
won two awards last year and it's free and open source software -
http://mahara.org

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 16:45 -0400, David F. Withrow wrote:

> Our official policy is that these kinds of activities need to be part of the official
> site. There are good reasons to do this. 1.) Even at a rudimentary or cursory level we
> can monitor what is going on. [This school is, after all, responsible for official
> communication with our constituents.] 2.) Parents are reassured that what is posted is
> "official" because we do monitor the classroom pages frequently. 3.) We have discovered
> some limitations with the products some teachers use. In those rare cases we have a
> disclosure policy for the teachers, parents and students.
>
> In light of some of the limitations of our software we are exploring other avenues.
>
> David F. Withrow
> Director of Technology
> Harford Day School
> Bel Air, Maryland 21014
> voice: 410 879 2350 ex 33
> fax: 410 836 5918
> skype: dfwithrow
> http://www.harfordday.org
>
> The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.
> - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
>
> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
> - Yogi Berra

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

--
Matt Burkhardt, M.Sci. Technology Management
mlb@imparisystems.com

[...]

Re: Color laser printer

Our school purchased an HP Color Laserjet 3600n for our lower school =
computer lab and have been very pleased with it. The setup was very =
easy. Teachers also have the option of printing to the lab printer if =
they need color copies instead of the other printers in the building. I =
have had to replace the black cartridge once since we got the printer =
about half way through the school year last year. The color cartridges =
will probably last a couple or three more months before they will need =
to be replaced. We try to monitor the usage to conserve ink and paper, =
but still print a good bit.

On the print status report from the printer, it states that the three =
color cartridges were installed on Jan. 7, 2009 and they each have =
between 3100 and 3600 estimated pages remaining. I installed the black =
cartridge on Aug. 18, 2009, and it has about 6500 pages remaining. We =
use HP cartridges and order them ink from www.think4inc.com, which has =
better prices than most places.=20

Allison Garrett=20
Lower School Technology Coordinator